Your body needs the right vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to stay healthy. A healthy diet means that you are eating:
- Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products
- Seafood, poultry, lean meats, eggs, beans, peas, seeds, and nuts
Limit foods high in:
Get a personalized Daily Food Plan to help you choose healthy foods.
- Cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars
- Trans fats – Trans fats may be in foods like cakes, cookies, stick margarines, and fried foods.
- Saturated fats – These fats come from animal products like cheese, fatty meats, whole milk, and butter.
- Refined grains – Food products with refined grains include white bread, noodles, white rice, and flour tortillas.
A healthy diet can keep your body strong and active.
By making smart food choices and following the Nutrition Basics, you can help reduce your risk for:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Some cancers
- Bone loss